- العرض كخريطة
The original name was Muff or An Mhagh in Irish meaning "the plain". The area was granted to ...
The original name was Muff or An Mhagh in Irish meaning "the plain". The area was granted to the Grocer’s Company, one of the twelve London Companies, under the terms of the Plantation in 1609. The name was changed in 1858 after The Earl of Eglinton who was Lord Lieutenant of Ireland at the time.
The parish church dating back to 1821 stands beside the ruin of the London settler's church. The former market house was completed in 1825 by the Grocer's company from plans by Michael Angles Nicholson of London. Two oak trees in the centre of the village are planted as saplings to commemorate the coronations of Edward VII and George V.
The modern village retains a lot of its original charm, local amenities include Muff Glen, Jamison Wood and angling at Enagh, Donneybrewer and the Faughan. There are a number of ancient graves, mills and a holy well in the immediate vicinity.