Dan Winter’s House
زيارة موقع الويب
- العرض كخريطة
9 Derryloughan Road, Loughgall, County Armagh,
Mrs Hilda Winter
الهاتف: (028) 3885 1344
البريد الإلكتروني: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Winter family home since 1698 become known as the birthplace of Orangeism.
The vernacular 1703 cottage, owned and lived in by Dan Winter and his son Daniel, came to fame on 21st September 1795. It was in the top sitting room where Winter, Wilson, Sloan and other leaders met following the Diamond Battle to discuss the forming of a new organisation which is known world wide as the Orange Order. The formal launch took place later in Sloan’s house in Loughgall where the first warrants were issued.
For over 200 years members of the Order their families and friends have visited the ancestral home in the farmyard. The official Department of Environment listing schedule states ‘This house is accepted as the meeting place following the Battle of the Diamond where the decision to form the Orange Order was made.’ The third Dan Winter, grandson of Dan of Orange fame, lived here until 1891. About 1912 his son Robert added the front porch and put the corrugated iron roof over the thatch which may still be seen by visitors looking up through the loft hatch. Roberts son Bertie built a new dwelling close by in 1953, and the family moved from the ancestral home. This historic house has been maintained by the family to this day. Visitors are shown maps, old family papers and relics. Some from the Battle and some from earlier days. One relic is the old 17th century chair, said to be of French origin and to have come with the family when they first settled in this area. The Winter’s first appearance was noted in the records of the local Ballyhagan Quaker meetings of 1665.
The house and farm are still owned by the Winter family, the farm is now run by Geoffery Daniel Winter, who is the grandson of Bertie, and the son of the late Derek Winter and thus the direct descendant of the famous Dan. Tour, talks and refreshments are available via booking by telephone or email. The tea room is available for booking outside the opening hours if requested. A picnic area is available to facilitate visitors bringing their own lunch.