Apprentice Boys of Derry Memorial Hall
- View as map
The Siege Museum is now located in temporary premises at 16 Bishop Street.
The Apprentice Boys of Derry Association is established for the purpose of commemorating the anniversaries of the shutting of the Gates and the Relief of Londonderry. The Memorial Hall and museum is dedicated to the history and heritage of the Siege of Londonderry 1688-1689.
The Memorial Hall was built originally in 1873 and extended in 1936. Designed originally by John Guy Ferguson and recently renovated. The building is neo-gothic, with a strong Scottish baronial façade. Includes a good museum of local items. It contains fine examples of meeting rooms for each of the Loyal Orders; while its museum contains artefacts and video presentations relating to the Siege of Londonderry and the Apprentice Boys Association.
Due to renovation work taking place in 2015, the Apprentice Boys Memorial Hall will be closed. A pop-up Siege Heroes Museum is currently open to visitors in nearby St. Augustine's Church Hall. The exhibition includes temporary displays of the history of the Siege of Londonderry and the Associated Clubs of the Apprentice Boys of Derry. The museum is located in the first floor of the Church building and has a video display area that can accommodate up to 20 people. Experienced tour guides are on hand to answer any questions and give in-depth explanations of our Association and history.
New Siege Museum and Visitors Centre
The new Siege Museum and Exhibition will be a permanent display of the history of the Siege of Londonderry and of the Associated Clubs of the Apprentice Boys of Derry, including artefacts, video and interactive media. Visitors will also have the added attraction of being able to view one of the finest collections of meeting rooms used by the 'Loyal Orders'. There are separate rooms for each of the orders. The new purpose-built museum and visitors centre will be completed in Summer 2015.