- View as map
Court Street, Newtownards, Down,
T: (028) 9181 1491
At the south east edge of Newtownards these substantial remains of a Dominican (Black) Friary ...
At the south east edge of Newtownards these substantial remains of a Dominican (Black) Friary founded in 1244 may be viewed. They are the only ones of their type in Northern Ireland. Built by the Savage family the buildings were destroyed by Sir Brian O'Neill to prevent English soldiers using them. Sir Hugh Montgomery restored the church in 1607 and added a small chapel but it fell into disrepair in the middle of the 18th-century. Open on request.