Historic houses and castles

260 of 478

Devenish Island Monastic Site, Co.Fermanagh

View as map

Contact details

Address

Devenish Trory, Enniskillen, County Fermanagh,
Mr Conaire McNeary
T: (028) 6862 1588
E: nieainfo@doeni.gov.uk

Famous for its perfect 12th-century round tower and ruined Augustinian abbey.

Devenish Monastic Site was founded in the 6th century by Saint Molaise on one of Lough Erne’s many islands. During its history it has been raided by Vikings (837AD), burned (1157AD) and flourished (Middle Ages) as a parish church site and St Mary’s Augustine Priory.

There are ruins from different time periods on site; the earliest being St Molaise house (small church) and the round tower which are 12th Century. A second church from the 13th Century, which was extended over time, was the lower church. St Marys Augustinian Priory on the hilltop has been dated from the middle 15th Century to early 16th Century with a church, tower and small cloister. In the graveyard stands a distinctive, unusual, intricately carved stone cross from the 15th Century.

No unaccompanied children under the age of 16.

The Northern Ireland Environment Agency runs a daily ferry service throughout July and August between Trory Point and Devenish Island - see Information tab for details.

Commercial boat tours on Lower Lough Erne taking in Devenish operate from the Round O in Enniskillen (MV Kestrel) and from The Manor House Hotel, Killadeas (Lady of the Lake).