The City Hall has often been described as the 'stone' Titanic.
The home of Belfast City Council, it was designed by Alfred Brumwell Thomas and built in Portland stone. Completed in 1906, in Classical Renaissance style reflecting Belfast's City Status, granted by Queen Victoria in 1888. The dome is 53cm (173ft) with a whispering gallery similar to that in St Paul's Cathedral. The main entrance and grand staircase are designed in three types of Italian marble.
The City Hall's connection with Titanic are many. In the grounds the Titanic Memorial, sculpted by Thomas Brock, pays tribute to the 22 men who lost their lives on the ship. Another statue by Brock depicts Sir Edward Harland, ship's plan in hand, who was Lord Mayor in 1885/6.
The Bobbin Coffee Shop and Exhibition Areas are located in the East. The theme of the area is Belfast Industries from the 17th century through to the present day. No Mean City Exhibition and Northern Ireland Film Archive are available for visitors.