Altnagelvin Hospital (Heritage Trail)
- View as map
T: (028) 7134 5171
Located on the Dungiven Road, this ten storey high building was the first General Hospital to be built in the UK after the Second World War. It opened in 1960 to the design of Yorke, Rosenberg and Mardall, to the cost of £2.8 million. A statue of the legendary Irish Princess Macha by F.E Williams is located in the grounds. The hospital is one of the six main hospitals in N.Ireland and the only one of the six west of the River Bann. Agenes Jones House- named after the famous nurse-Agnes Jones (1832-68) located near the entrance to Altnagelvin Hospital is now used as residential accommodation for the hospital. Agnes Jones who lived at Fahan, Co. Donegal trained and worked with Florence Nightingale in the Crimea. She contracted cholera when in charge of Liverpool Infirmary and died aged 36; she is buried in Fahan Graveyard, Fahan, Co. Donegal.