The Shipyard Area (Heritage Trail)
- View as map
T: (028) 7126 7284
The area along the riverfront from Sainsbury's car park to Bay Road was the shipyard in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The most well known builder was Captain William Coppin who built many ships, including the 'Great Northern' the first screw propelled ship built in Ireland. Ownership of the shipyard changed hands a number of times after Coppin and eventually closed in the depression of 1928 when it was owned by Swan Hunter Ltd. During the Second World War the area was used as a ship repair yard by Harland & Wolff for the numerous allied navy ships that were based in the city.