- View as map
Mr Alan Burgess
This restored 13th century fortification was originally built by Meiler de Bermingham and is located within the heritage town of Athenry.
Richard de Burgo granted a charter to Meiler de Bermingham in 1235 and shortly afterwards de Bermingham started building his castle at Athenry.
Probably completed by 1250, it consists of a three-storey tower surrounded by the remains of a strong outer wall and is entered at first floor level through an unusually decorated doorway.
Recently re-roofed, the interior now contains an audio-visual room and exhibition.