Glenveagh Castle was completed in 1873, taking its inspiration from the concept of a romantic highland retreat. Situated 24km north-west of Letterkenny, Glenveagh is the most northerly of the nations' six national parks.
Set in some 16,500 hectares of County Donegal mountains, lakes, glens and woods, with a large herd of red deer, Glenveagh Castle is a 19th century, castellated mansion built between 1867 and 1873.
Surrounded by the famous Glenveagh Gardens, its construction in a remote mountain setting was inspired by the Victorian idyll of a romantic highland retreat. John Townsend Trench, a cousin of its builder and first owner, John George Adair, designed it.
Access to the castle is by guided tour only.