Historic houses and castles

345 of 464

Magdalene Tower

View as map

Contact details

Address

Magdalene Street, Drogheda, Louth, Republic of Ireland
T: +353(0)419837070
E: tourism@drogheda.ie

Magdalene Tower is all that now remains of the once important Dominican Friary It is the belfry tower of the friary which Lucas de Netterville, then Archbishop of Armagh, founded ery in about 1224.

Magdalene Tower is all that now remains of the once important Dominican Friary It is the belfry tower of the friary which Lucas de Netterville, then Archbishop of Armagh, founded ery in about 1224. The tower itself is of 14th-century construction. It was here that O'Neill and the other Ulster chiefs acknowledged their submission to Richard II, King of England,in 1367. In 1412 its Abbot, Father Bennett, was the peacemaker in the conflict between the people on either side of the river Boyne leading to the uniting of the town.

The tower was located near to the now demolished St Sunday's Gate and was located just inside the nothern walls of the town.