The Main Guard
- View as map
Sarsfield Street, Clonmel, Tipperary, Republic of Ireland
The Main Guard is one of Clonmel's most distinctive landmarks; the restored Main Guard was built in 1675 by James Butler, Duke of Ormond. It is located in the heart of Clonmel, County Tipperary.
The Main Guard served as the courthouse for the Palatinate, or administrative area, of County Tipperary. In 1715, the Palatinate jurisdiction was extinguished.
The ground floor, consisting of a loggia (or gallery) of open arches, was converted into shops and had additional floors added around 1810. The Main Guard, with its distinctive clock tower, has been recently restored to its original form.
Almost ten years of painstaking restoration, which included incorporating stone from nearby Cistercian ruins, resulted in a Heritage Award for Best Practice in Conservation in the Tipperary 2004 RIAI Awards.
The building is open to visitors from April to September and guided tours available.