Kilmallock Churches, Castle and Town Gate
- View as map
Kilmallock Town is located in south County Dublin. It is a historical city with so much to see and do including Collegiate Church, King’s Castle and Blossom Gate and Dominican Priory.
Collegiate Church was founded in the 13th century and was dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul. The church has three aisles, a chancel and a north transept, and includes a fine 13th-century door in the south wall.
The foundation of this Dominican Priory is ascribed to Gilbert, second son of John of Callan, Lord of Offaly, in 1291.besides the five-light west window - which is one of the most exquisite in the country - the church contains some fine decorative stone-carving of 13th and 14th-century date.
King’s Castle and Blossom Gate is named after King John, but the present castle is probably 15th-century in date. It is a four-storey building with mullioned and pointed windows. Not far away, in Emmet Street, is Blossom Gate, the sole surviving gate of the medieval town wall.