Historic houses and castles

425 of 464

Ballyloughan Castle

View as map

Contact details

Address

Ballyloughan Castle, Bagenalstown, Carlow, Republic of Ireland

Located near Bagenalstown in County Carlow, the 13th century Ballyloughan Castle now comprises a twin towered gatehouse, the hall and foundation of one of the corner towers of a large castle of circa 1300.

This castle was probably built in the 13th century and consisted of a large open courtyard with a curtain wall and a moat outside. Only a small square tower remains, as well as the entrance gate which is flanked by two large rounded towers.

It appears that the castle may have been abandoned in the 14th century. It belonged to the Kavanaghs and was occupied by Donogh Kavanagh at the end of the 16th century.

The castle originally belonged to the Kavanaghs before passing into the hands of the Bagenal family of nearby Bagenalstown and following this the Bruen family in the early 19th century.

Access direct, on private land.