- View as map
Creeslough, Donegal, Republic of Ireland
Doe Castle is situated about 1 mile off the Carrigart to Creeslough road. This MacSuibhne castle is protected on three sides by the sea, while on the landward side a moat has been hewn from the rock.
Doe Castle changed ownership many times in the 17th Century before settling into English hands. General George Vaughan Harte carried out extensive repairs at the end of the 18th Century and his family lived here until 1864. The general's initials are over the door.
A Church of Ireland minister was the last occupant. When he left, the castle fell into disrepair and eventually fell into ruin. The landlord, Stewart-bam of Ards, sold the property to the Irish Land Commission in 1922. It is now a national monument.
The keep (fortified tower within the Castle) will be open on Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays throughout the summer with guided tours starting at 11am and as requested during the day. There will be no charge.