Belfast Cathedral / St Anne’s Cathedral
- View as map
Church of Ireland
Donegall Street, BELFAST,
T: +44 (0) 28 9032 8332
The Cathedral is open to visitors from 10.00 am to 4.00 pm on ...
Consecrated in 1904, the Cathedral held a memorial service shortly after the tradgic sinking of the Titanic which was attended by several members of Thomas Andrew's family.
The Cathedral contains mosaics designed by Sir Charles Nicholson and executed by Gertrude and Margaret Martin. It has the largest Celtic Cross in Ireland, and mosaics and stained glass on Celtic themes.
Groups are most welcome to visit the Cathedral. Arrangements for guided tours should be made well in advance with the Cathedral Office. Every effort will be made to accommodate groups who wish to visit outside the normal hours. Prayer walks of the Cathedral are also available. These can be self-conducted using the booklets available or under the guidance of Cathedral volunteers or clergy.
The Cathedral is open from 8am to 4pm every day and entrance is free, though a donation of £2 per person is requested to help with the running costs.
Services are held on weekdays at 8.10am., 8.30am, 1pm and 3.30pm. and on Sundays at 8am., 10am, 11am (usually the main service of the day) and at 3.30 pm.
Look out for: A beautiful funeral pall commemorating those who lost their lives in the sinking of the Titanic, which was unveiled publicly on Tuesday 20 March. Nearly 4 metres by 2.5 metres in indigo, it represents the midnight sea, with crosses of different sizes and designs apparently sinking into it (as well as some Stars of David recognising that there were Jewish people who lost their lives in the tragedy). The pall, which was created by Helen O'Hare and Wilma Kirkpatrick, textile artists based at the University of Ulster, will hang for the duration of the Spring and Summer.