The Three Cities of Limerick
The early Medieval City was established on the Southern tip of King’s Island. The Island is formed by the Shannon and Abbey Rivers. The City which was walled around 1185 then became known as English Town. Those who could not or did not wish to embrace the Anglo Norman Culture were forced to move to the opposite side of the river. This area which was not fortified until 1320 was called Irish Town. Further expansion began in 1769 with the planning and building of the Georgian City. The Hunt Museum, just across Mathew Bridge is a fine example of Georgian Architecture. Also in this area are the new Marina and the Arthur Quay Park.
The Administrative Heart of the City:
From earliest times the administrative centre of the city was situated in English Town first with the construction of King John’s Castle and later with the establishment of the Tholsel, which was the city’s first town hall, build in 1449. Though the city has experienced many changes over the centuries, the administrative centre of the city is still situated on the Island. The present City Hall building on Merchant’s Quay was built in 1990 not far from the ‘Thingmount’ (a Viking counsel chamber and court of justice) where it is reported that the Viking’s established the first local authority for Limerick City over a millennium ago.
Please click on the web link below for a map of the area with detailed descriptions of what to see on it.