Bantry, County Cork was once the site of a Franciscan monastery built by the local O’Sullivan chieftain in the mid-15th century. Today, there is a graveyard and small altar that can be visited.
In the mid-15th century, the local O’Sullivan chieftain established a Franciscan monastery in the town of Bantry, found in the western part of County Cork. Over the years, the abbey suffered occupations by both the Irish and English armies, and in 1720, its stones were removed to build the sables of Bantry House and the Fish Palace of Bantry Square.
Today, there remains a graveyard on the site. It features stone carvings and a small altar.