Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity
- View as map
Waterford City’s Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity was built in 1793, making it Ireland’s oldest Catholic cathedral. Like the city’s Christ Church Cathedral, it was designed by influential architect John Roberts.
Renowned architect John Roberts designed the Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity, which was built in 1793. The house of worship is located in Waterford City and is Ireland’s oldest Catholic cathedral, though it has seen many changes throughout its history. In 1977, the structure was refurbished following the Second Vatican Council, and in the 1990s, the building was re-floored and the sacristy restructured.
The Cathedral is over 220 years old and is Ireland’s oldest Catholic Cathedral. In 2000, the square near Barronstrand Street was re-named as “John Roberts Square” in light of the influence he had over the architecture of the two Cathedrals in Waterford.