Monuments

23 of 110

The Market Cross

View as map

Contact details

Address

High Street, Newtownards, Down,
T: (028) 9182 6846

At the east of High Street in Newtownards the Market Cross was built in 1636 but was destroyed ...

At the east of High Street in Newtownards the Market Cross was built in 1636 but was destroyed by Commonwealth troops in 1653. The original building was less than 11 feet tall and octagonal in shape with a low door and staircase leading to the roof. The present replacement building was finished in 1666. Its conical roof was probably used as an office or shelter for the towns night watchmen. Towns people say that the Cross used to "flow with wine" at the birth of a royal baby.