The Rosslare Two Slí na Sláinte Walking Routes
- View as map
The Rosslare Slí both begins at the village carpark on the site of an ancient killing ground. The route is truly a pathway of mixed emotions, flora and fauna.
Walkers will pass the famous Kelly’s Resort Hotel and on the left Marconi House where a wireless transmitter boosted the signal between Cornwall and Clifden.
Upon reaching Crosbie Cedars Hotel walkers have a choice, turn left for the circular route or continue on straight for the linear walk. See link for more information.
For the circular route, as walkers reach the Crosbie Cedars Hotel turn left up Grange Road and cross the railway tracks. It was these tracks that in the late 1800’s brought the first holidaymakers to the village, setting the seeds for the resort of today. Walk on through the new roundabout, turning left on to the Mauritiustown Road and over the Railway Bridge from where the Europort can be seen in the distance. Below on the sand dunes lies the ancient ruins of one of the first churches in the village beside which boldly stand the giant cannons that once protected this island. Walking back around to the starting point walkers will have completed the 4.2km route.
The linear walk takes walkers to the famous Burrow area of Rosslare. A geographical, ecological and historical tour, which leads from a rural landscape to salt water marshes and on to a sand dune structure which is the pride of Europe. Walkers will pass the National School, which houses the local museum - among the displays is a model of the lost fort.
Further on St Brioc’s Well and Commodore John Barry’s house can be seen. The RNLI monument marks the bravery of our Lifeboat Men who attended disasters at sea such as the sinking of the ‘Pomona’ with 488 lives lost.
At the very tip once stood The Fort that like Atlantis is, alas, no more. It was swept away in a bad storm in 1923. The route finishes at this point, where visitors will have walked 3.6km. Turn around and continue back to the starting point to make the walk 7.2km.