Mount Congreve Estate and Gardens
- View as map
Kilmeaden, Waterford, Republic of Ireland
Dating back to 1760, Mount Congreve Estate is renowned for its gardens, which include about 30 hectares of woodland and a walled garden.
Located just outside Waterford City in Kilmeaden, Mount Congreve Estate was built about 1760 by local architect John Roberts. The estate is famous for being the home of one of 'the great gardens of the world'. It consist of about 30 hectares of intensively planted woodland garden and a nearly 2 hectare walled garden. The owner, the late Ambrose Congreve, was inspired by Mr Lionel de Rothschild’s exceptional garden at Exbury in Hampshire, England.
It was here that his interest in gardening was nurtured and he became infected with a passion and enthusiasm for plants such as rhododendrons, magnolias, camellias and indeed many other floras from every continent in the world.
The entire collection consists of more than 3,000 different trees and shrubs, more than 2,000 rhododendrons, 600 camellias, 300 Acer cultivars, 600 conifers, 250 climbers and 1,500 herbaceous plants.