The Left Bank Pub, on The Parade, Kilkenny City is an architectural landmark of significant interest featuring a beautifully designed main bar with a lively atmosphere and friendly staff. Quality bar food is served daily until 5pm
Left Bank, formerly the Bank of Ireland building was constructed in 1870 to a design by Sandham Symes. The building was a purpose-built bank and facilitated the relocation of the Bank of Ireland from No. 10 The Parade, which it occupied from 1835 to 1871. The prominence of the building is increased by Sandham Symes' decision to orientate its front facade on the perpendicular to The Parade so as to face northwest down High Street. The principal facades are of cut limestone. The front facade comprises a three-storey, five bay block with a large central portico. The importance of the ground floor is accentuated by rustication on the portico colums, quoin stone and in panels under the window. There are curved corner bays either side of the facade. The side facade onto The Parade continues the formal composition of the front facade without the more elaborate rustication. The primary access to the upper floors of the former Bank of Ireland building was the door in the south-west (curved) corner, off Patrick Street. Typically, the upper floors in such banks were used as residential accommodation for the bank manager. In the latter years of the Bank of Ireland building the upper floors were leased to a firm of accountants.
Today,the Left Bank features a beautifully designed main bar with a lively atmosphere and friendly staff. Bar food is served daily until 5pm.
Louie’s Backyard (outdoor area) is a fully heated and covered smoking area with its own outdoor fireplace and both and indoor and outdoor bar with plasma screens to keep you updated on all the sporting and entertainment being shown in the bar.