Bushy Park is a peaceful Dublin City park noted for its woodland walks, ornamental ponds and beautiful Dodder Walk as well as catering for football, tennis, skate-boarding, boules and children's play.
Part of an extensive open space network along the Dodder River, in Dublin City, Bushy Park extends to 20.5 hectares.
The park originated in 1700 when Arthur Bushe of Dangan, County Kilkenny, secretary to the Revenue Commissioners, built the house known as ‘Bushes House’ on a site of four hectares. A John Hobson became owner in 1772 and changed the name to Bushy Park, possibly after the park in London of that name. Purchased by Abraham Wilkinson in 1791 who added almost 40 hectares to the estate, he gave it as a dowry to his daughter Maria when she married Robert Shaw in 1796. George Bernard Shaw was a distant relative, his grandfather being a nephew of Sir Robert Shaw. The Shaws were connected with Bushy Park for the next 155 years until 1951 when they sold the estate to Dublin Corporation.
The park is noted for its woodland walks, ornamental ponds and beautiful Dodder Walk as well as catering for football, tennis boules and children's play. Dublin City’s first public skate park was opened in 2006 in Bushy Park. It consists of a concrete bowl surrounded with typical street elements. The park is open to skateboarders, in-line skaters and BMX bikes.