St. Audoen's Park
- View as map
High Street/Cook Street, Dublin, Republic of Ireland
Developed in 1987, this small park is near Christchurch Cathedral between High Street and Cook Street, in DUblin City. It incorporates a part of the first stone Dublin City wall dating from about 1100 AD.
St Audoen's Park, in Dublin City, although less than 0.5 hectares in size, is quite significant in historical terms. It is located adjacent to St Audoen's Church (1300 AD) and incorporates the first stone city wall of Dublin dating from about 1100 AD: St. Audoen's Arch the last surviving entrance to the old city and Fagan's Gate.
The City Wall was restored in 1976 as part of Architectural Heritage Year and the park development of 1982 won a prestigious civic award. Audoen was a 7th Century Bishop of Rouen (France) and the nearby church named after him is reputedly one of the oldest still used for regular religious services.