- View as map
A 15th century castle lovingly restored by the Daly family. The castle was built in 1470 by Catherine, daughter of the Earl of Desmond.
Deep in a secluded valley and surrounded by low hills and trees are the remains of an old castle, originally called Benduff but now known as Castle Salem. It is reached by leaving the main Rosscarbery- Skibbereen road and winding down through unfrequented lanes and anyone who did not know of its existence might easily pass it by, so inconspicuous is it among the trees and the farm buildings of which it is now a part.
Castle Salem was built in 1470 by Catherine, daughter of the Earl of Desmond. Catherine married McCarthy Reagh. Following the rebellion of 1641 the McCarthys were dispossessed and the castle passed to Major Morris who was in the Cromwellian army. Major Morris became a Quaker and changed the name of the castle to Castle Salem. William Penn founder of Pennsylvania often stayed in Castle Salem. The L- shaped house was built in 1682 by Fortunatus Morris at right angles to the castle. The castle was acquired by the Daly family over 100 years ago and they have lovingly restored the once derelict castle to its splendour today.