Foyle Valley Cycle Route
- View as map
T: (028) 7188 3735
This 21 mile route connects the City of Derry to the border towns of Lifford (County Donegal) ...
This award-winning, twenty-one mile cycle route connects the historic walled city of Derry to the border towns of Lifford and Strabane and is a mixture of traffic free paths and quiet country roads and lanes. The route starts close to the Tourist Information Centre in Derry City and runs parallel to the River Foyle toward the border with Donegal.
This section uses the track bed of the former Great Northern Railway. It's shared with pedestrians so be prepared to give way.
From here, minor roads lead to the villages of Carrigans and Saint Johnston with great views over the Foyle and Hills of Donegal. After reaching Lifford the route crosses the Foyle River into the market town of Strabane finising at the town's Tourist Information Centre. Attractions along the way include:
• 17th Century City Walls of Derry,
• Foyle Valley Railway Museum - situated on the cycle route,
• Cavanacor Historic House - Ancestral home of US President James Knox Polk,
• 'Begin the Dance' - sculpture located between Lifford and Strabane,
• Grays Printers Museum - housing 19th century presses and artefacts.