Davies Bawn / Castlederg Castle
- View as map
This castle commands a strategic location on the River Derg.
This castle commands a strategic location on the River Derg. Recent excavations revealed the remains of a 15th Century O'Neill tower house which preceded the Bawn, a defended stone house. The site represents rivalry for planter families during the 1641 rebellion; the Bawn was rendered unfit for occupation after an attack by Sir Phelim O'Neill. The ruins consist of a rectangular brawn with square flankers at each corner. The riverside flankers (one has been washed away by flooding) were open topped, providing a point of artillery. The flankers on the north side were roofed, forming part of the living area. Further interpretation onsite.