The Masonic Hall
- View as map
Formerly known as the Bishop’s Palace, built in 1754 in the Episcopate of William Barnard - it gave Bishop Street its present name. The building was once home to Bishop Hervey, Earl of Bristol, who had it largely reconstructed to his design. In 1798 it was used as a barracks, the gardens became a parade ground on to the city walls - a section still known today as the Grand Parade. Mrs. Cecil Francis Alexander, the hymn writer, died here in 1895.