Walks

Sandycove Heritage Trail

View as map

Contact details

A delightful walk around one of the more picturesque and historic coastal villages in South County Dublin taking in Georgian villas as well as the James Joyce museum in the martello tower made famous in Ulysses.

Stop 1
Our walk begins at the People’s Park, which was known as Glasthule Quarry in the late 18th century.

Stop 2
The Metals Walkway. The Metals was laid in 1816 to provide a means of carrying stone from quarries to the site for the new harbour being built at Dun Laoghaire

Stop 3
Sandycove/Glasthule Dart Station opened in 1855 by the Dublin and Kingstown Railway

Stop 4
St Joseph’s Church, Glasthule was built in 1868 and designed by the architects Pugin & Ashlin in a Neo- Gothic style.

Stop 5
Glasthule Village (Glastool was the early spelling). The name is derived from a small stream (Glas) and Tuathail (the surname Toole).

Stop 6
We now leave Glasthule and head towards Sandycove.

Stop 7
Tara Hall was the home of the late Monk Gibbon, author and poet, from 1948 to 1985

Stop 8
29 Sandycove Road is said to be the house where Roger Casement was born. Casement was a leading figure in the 1916 Rebellion

Stop 9
A left turn into Sandycove Avenue West and we reach Sandycove Baths on the left which date back to the 19th century.

Stop 10
We are now at Sandycove Harbour, which was built in the 18th century to ship granite from Dalkey Quarry to Dublin.

Stop 11
The Martello tower is known as Joyce’s Tower. It was built in 1804 with eight foot thick walls and named after one of the 20th century’s greatest novelists, James Joyce, who spent six nights there at the invitation of Oliver St John Gogarty.

Stop 12
Below the battery is the famous Forty Foot Men’s Bathing Place, named after the Fortieth Foot Regiment which was stationed in the battery

Stop 13
To our left is Geragh, built by the leading Irish modernist architect, Michael Scott (1905-1989) as home in 1938


Stop 14
Sandycove Castle is a good example of the mid-19th century villas built in the neighbourhood and originally called Cove House.

Stop 15
This stretch of water is known as Scotman’s Bay and the Nuns’ Bathing Place. There are spectacular views of the coastline stretching towards Howth in north Dublin.

It is a pleasurable walk suitable for all ages. There are no difficult areas to climb. It should take approximately an hour to complete and will allow walkers to also see the local flora and fauna particularly sea birds such as cormorants and herons.