Clare Island Lighthouse
- View as map
Clare Island Lighthouse is a Historic House sited on the most northerly point of Clare Island, County Mayo. The Lighthouse was built in 1806 by the Marquis of Sligo.
Clare Island Lighthouse is a Historic House sited on the most northerly point of Clare Island, County Mayo. The Lighthouse was built in 1806 by the Marquis of Sligo and did its duty for 7 years, until a fire, in September 1813, destroyed the Lantern and part of the tower. The new lantern tower was built in 1818. The Lighthouse was decommissioned in 1965 because, ironically, it is so high on the cliffs (118 metres) it was often shrouded in mist!
After complete restoration Clare Island Lighthouse was opened as a Historic House in May 2013. They offer accommodation for 10 people in 5 separate individually designed en suite rooms, some in the main building and some in outbuildings.
Guests enjoy mingling and socialising in the welcoming warmth of the kitchen, drawing room and library.
The Lighthouse’s aim is to prepare locally produced food, bursting with freshness and flavour. The best ingredients Clare Island and Co. Mayo have to offer are used and served simply and deliciously.
Guests receive a home cooked hearty breakfast setting them up for their chosen day’s activities.
In the evening, dinner is a set menu depending on seasonal availability, the local catch of the day or whatever fare the local butcher recommends.
Together with the evening dinner, Clare Island Lighthouse offers an interesting selection of European wines.
There is also a wellness suite available (Sauna Suite) with a Technogym cross trainer and a Finnish Sauna.
The Lighthouse is suitable for couples and solo travellers. Dogs are welcome by prior arrangement.
Unfortunately the Lighthouse is not suitable for children.