Found in Dublin City Centre, Whitefriar Street Church was founded in 1279 and since 1974 has been run by the Order of Carmelites. It is one of Dublin’s largest places of worship and is home to the relics of St Valentine, a gift from the Vatican.
Visitors to Dublin City can find Whitefriar Street Church in the centre, not far from St Patrick’s Church, another of the city’s major ecclesiastical sites. Whitefriar was founded in 1279, dispossessed during the Reformation and then re-established in 1825. Since 1974, it has been under the care of the Order of Carmelites.
The house of worship is one of the most well-known and largest in Dublin City. It has many notable details, including a shrine with the remains of St Valentine, which Pope Gregory XVI gifted to the church in 1835. There are also shrines to Our Lady of Dublin and St Albert of Sicily, from which many people take water, thought to be curative.