- View as map
This Castle commands a strategic location on the River Derg. Recent excavations revealed the ...
This Castle commands a strategic location on the River Derg. Recent excavations revealed the remains of a 15th century O'Neill tower house which preceded the Bawn, a defended stone house. The site represents both rivalry for planter families during the 1641 rebellion, the Bawn was rendered unfit for occupation after an attack by Sir Phelim O'Neill. The ruins consist of a rectangular brawn with square flankers at each corner. The riverside flankers ( one has been washed away by flooding) were open topped,providing a point of artillery. The flankers on the north side were roofed, forming part of the living area. Accessible/ signposted from Castlederg Main Street. Free access with further interpretation onsite.