Historic houses and castles

166 of 464

Trim Castle

View as map

Contact details

Address

Trim, Meath, Republic of Ireland
T: +353(0)469438619
F: +353(0)469438618
E: trimcastle@opw.ie

Trim Castle is Ireland's largest Anglo Norman castle, set in the equally heritage rich Boyne Valley in Trim, County Meath. It was constructed over a thirty year period by Hugh de Lacy and his son Walter.

Trim Castle, the largest Anglo Norman castle in Ireland, was constructed in this County Meath town over a thirty year period by Hugh de Lacy and his son Walter. Hugh de Lacy was granted the liberty of Meath by King Henry II in 1172 in an attempt to curb the expansionist policies of Richard de Clare (Strongbow).

Construction of the massive three storied keep, the central stronghold of the castle, was begun c. 1176 on the site of an earlier wooden fortress. This massive twenty sided tower, which is cruciform in shape, was protected by a ditch, curtain wall and moat.

This magnificent site experienced a renaissance in 2000 when it opened to the public after an extensive period of excavation and restoration. Access to the keep is by guided tour only for safety reasons and visitors also have access to the grounds of the castle where interpretation panels allow for self guiding.

Access for visitors with disabilities is very restricted. Please note that some of the stairs in the keep are very steep and narrow. The keep is not accessible for visitors with disabilities and there is restricted access to the grounds only.

Opening Times:
November to January: Weekends only 09.am – 5pm.
February - 15th March: Weekends only 09.30am - 5.30pm.
16th March - 30th September: Daily 10.am – 6pm.
October: Open daily 9.30am - 17.30pm.
Closed the weekend before before Christmas, and before New Year's Day.
Last admission 1 hour before closing.
Leaflet/guide booklet available in English. Average length of visit 1-2 hours.
Note:
Access to keep is by guided tour only. Max number is 20 and with a duration of 45 minutes. Groups must be pre-booked.
Facilities:
Display panels with reconstruction drawings,
Guided tour,
Public car park close to site.
Toilets