Castletown manor is an historic country house in a parkland setting, featuring early 18th century architecture and an elaborate mid 19th century redevelopment.
The house is a mid-sized (600m2), country house which has some interesting architectural features and a well researched history. The original house dating from the 1650's was built by Robert Morgan, a Cromwellian cavalry officer, when he dispossessed the O'Dowd family from their ancestral castle adjacent to the house. The Morgan family retained ownership until the 1760's and both Hugh Morgan (son) and Marcus-Anthony Morgan (grandson) were elected members of parliament. The Morgan line has been traced to Henry Grattan (a great great grandson) and to the Marlay family.
The house was sold in the 1760's to the Kirkwood family, who built the estate 'famine' wall and subsequently passed to the Boyd family before being purchased by the state in the Land Acts of the 1920's.