- View as map
St Brendan’s Cathedral, located in Loughrea, County Galway, is one of Ireland’s greatest contributions of 20th-century European art. The cathedral was designed by William Byrne and features splendid examples of modern Irish stained glass.
St. Brendan’s Catholic Cathedral in Loughrea, County Galway was completed in 1902. Though the structure’s only unusual architectural features are the double transepts, the splendid decoration of its interior makes it worth a visit.
The cathedral features stained glass from influential studio An Túr Gloine, including Michael Healy’s Ascension and Last Judgment of 1936-40. There is also a statue of the Virgin and Child by John Hughes, bronze angels by Michael Shortall and metalwork by William Scott, which was admired by poet T.S. Eliot.