Saint Marys Cathedral
- View as map
St Mary’s is a gothic revival-style Catholic cathedral that dominates the skyline of Kilkenny City. William Deane Butler designed the impressive house of worship taking inspiration from Norman architecture. It was completed in 1849.
The Catholic cathedral of Kilkenny City, St Mary’s is a tall, imposing structure designed by William Deane Butler in the Gothic Revival aesthetic. The cruciform structure was constructed with local limestone in a style inspired by Norman architecture. It took six years to build and was completed in 1849.
St Mary's was later remodelled according to proposals from the Second Vatican Council, though it remained true to the original architecture.
A redevelopment was completed in September 2012. This phase saw the Chapter House, which includes the main sacristy ,located adjacent to the Cathedral restored and developed. We now have facilities which include tea rooms with dining al fresco in season, a book shop and a beautiful conference room – all now in operation.