Kildare

51 of 227

The Gate House

View as map

Contact details

Address

Castletown, Celbridge, Kildare, Republic of Ireland
T: +353(0)16704733
F: +353(0)16704887
E: bookings@irishlandmark.com

The Gate House a restored historical gate lodge, sits at the entrance to one of Ireland's finest Palladian Country Houses in Celbridge, County Kildare. Guests can enjoy walks on the Castletown Estate and a tour of Castletown House.

Three Gate Lodges grace the entrance to the magnificent Palladian Castletown House in Celbridge County Kildare, one of the most important eighteenth century estates in Ireland. The Lodges are known locally as The Round House, The Pottery and The Gate House. These vernacular buildings form an important part of the Celbridge.

Prominently positioned at the top of the main street in Celbridge, the Gate House faces the quaint Church of Ireland Christ Church (1884) which retains a majestic tower of an earlier church (1813). The Gate House was vacant for many years, but a careful programme of conservation, managed by the Irish Landmark Trust in partnership with the Office of Public Works, has given a new life to this historic building. The guests who stay in this two bedroom property will become part of the new story of this lodge. Together with the Round House, the Gate House is a perfect location for larger gatherings. This property provides ample room for all the family.

Celbridge, located in the heart of Ireland’s premier horse racing country side, enjoys close proximity to The Curragh Racecourse, Punchestown Racecourse and Fairyhouse. County Kildare is home to premier golf courses such as the K Club. It is only a short stroll to the heart of village life where there are many restaurants and traditional Irish pubs.

The town of Celbridge has a deep historical background. Celbridge Abbey was built by Bartholomew Van Homrigh, Lord Mayer of Dublin, in 1697. It was his daughter, Esther Van Homrigh, who was immortalised as 'Vanessa' by Jonathan Swift, who came regularly from his deanery to visit her. The Rock Bridge, situated in the grounds of Celbridge Abbey, is reputed to be the oldest remaining stone bridge that crosses the River Liffey. Celbridge is also the birthplace of Arthur Guinness, founder of the Guinness Brewery family business.