Belfast

738 of 1061

The Lagan Towpath Section 1

View as map

Contact details

Address

Lagan Valley Regional Park, Belfast, Antrim,
T: (028) 9049 1922

This section starts at Lockview Road carpark, Stranmillis and follows
the towpath for 2.25 ...

This section starts at Lockview Road carpark, Stranmillis and follows
the towpath for 2.25 miles to Shaws Bridge. The first lock, known as Molly Wards, after a well-known eighteenth century tavern, is now home to the Boat Club. Continuing upstream, thesite of the second lock is known as Mickey Taylors. The third lock, where lock, lock-keepers house & stone bridge remain entact is known as McLeaves. Section one ends at Shaws Bridge, built by Captain John Shaw in 1709. Points of note along the route also include; Lagan Meadows (site of Lesters Dam) the source of Belfasts first piped water supply; Belvoir Park forest formerly the estate of Lord Deramore; & the riverside park named after R. Clement Wilson which was Northern Irelands first factory garden.